- Chair of post-Grenfell fire review “shocked” by construction culture
The engineer tasked by the UK Government with examining building fire safety regulation in England following the Grenfell fire has said she is shocked by construction practices. The industry urgently needs to change its culture, and “clearly identifiable” individuals must take responsibility for what is built, she concludes.
- 24 days ago 30 Jan 18, 11:40am -
- VictorianSASH windows revitalise historic Portsmouth home
A Victorian terraced home inPortsmouth is the latest retrofitproject to feature VictorianSASHtriple glazed timber windows fromEksalta, which resemble traditionalsash windows while deliveringmodern high-performance standardsof insulation and airtightness.
- 24 days ago 30 Jan 18, 11:34am -
- Viessmann boilers keeping visitors warm at revamped Postal Museum
Viessmann boilers have been specified for the revamped Postal Museum, which has recently opened its doors to visitors after a major £26m redevelopment supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- 24 days ago 30 Jan 18, 11:29am -
- Northern Ireland to get world's first educational ‘passive house premium’ building
Northern Ireland’s South West College has announced that its new Erne Campus in Enniskillen will include the first educational building in the world built to the new passive house premium standard. The campus will be constructed on the site of the former Erne Hospital.
- 25 days ago 29 Jan 18, 2:39pm -
- Brady Energy Consultants now offering passive house guidance
Brady Energy Consultants, the leading Mayo-based providers of energy consulting services, have announced that senior energy consultant Cathal Brady has become a certified passive house consultant, and that the company will add thermal modelling to its range of services in 2018.
- 28 days ago 26 Jan 18, 4:38pm -
- Ecological announce ‘Ecobuild 2 nZEB’ course
Building on the success of its award-winningPassive EcoWall concept and range of lowenergy training courses, Ecological Building Systemshas announced the launch of its new ‘Ecobuild 2nZEB’ one day course. This workshop will providestep-by-step instructions on building a new homewith ecological materials, and using passive houseprinciples, to meet nearly zero energy building(nZE…
- 28 days ago 26 Jan 18, 4:29pm -
- Going A1-rated & certified passive lifts build costs by 0.1%
The extra cost of building to certified passive house levels – while also scoring an A1 BER – is as low as 0.1%, research at Ulster University has shown.
- 28 days ago 26 Jan 18, 4:25pm -
- Government announces suite of retrofit grants
Move comes as failure to tackle carbon emissions sharply criticised
- 28 days ago 26 Jan 18, 4:15pm -
- Healthy building focused event comes to London on Valentine’s Day
Buildings can be conceived and delivered in new ways that enhance the mental and physical health of occupants. That’s the message the Alliance for Sustainable Building Products (ASBP) will be sharing with delegates at the ASBP’s Healthy Buildings Conference and Expo 2018 on 14 February.
- 29 days ago 25 Jan 18, 3:41pm -
- UK & Irish green building associations set to merge
The Environmental and Sustainable Construction Association (Éasca) is merging with the Association for Environment Conscious Building (AECB), the two organisations have announced.
- 29 days ago 25 Jan 18, 3:30pm -
- New passive secondary school in Sutton gets green light
A major new £36m secondary school in Sutton, designed by passive architecture specialists Architype, has successfully received planning permission.
- 29 days ago 25 Jan 18, 3:27pm -
- ECON Polyurethanes launch new, greener spray-foam insulation
ECON Polyurethanes have recently launched the new BASF Elastospray LWP (low warming potential) spray-foam insulation system to the UK and Irish markets. According to BASF, Elastospray LWP “combines maximum insulation performance with the best possible environmental protection”.
- 29 days ago 25 Jan 18, 3:21pm -
- Keystone launches advanced new Hi-therm+ lintel
Keystone has announced the launch of a new advanced version of its award winning Hi-therm lintel. Hi-therm has won multiple awards for innovation, and Keystone said that its design has now been upgraded to offer “even greater practicality to builders and to extend its benefits to a wider range of projects”.
- 29 days ago 25 Jan 18, 3:16pm -
- Passive House Systems gets first ever NSAI Agrement cert for solar PV
Leading Cork-based sustainable building product supplier Passive House Systems has just been awarded the first ever NSAI Agrément certificate for a solar PV system.
- 30 days ago 24 Jan 18, 4:39pm -
- Ancon to launch new products at Ecobuild 2018
Ancon will be launching its latest fixing innovations at Ecobuild between 6 and 8 March at the London ExCel centre, at stand number C62.
- 30 days ago 24 Jan 18, 4:27pm -
- Amvic Ireland ICF gets updated Agrément cert
Amvic Ireland has announced that the NSAI Agrémentcertificate for the company’s insulated concreteformwork (ICF) system has been updated to include its newAmvic 300 polystyrene block. Amvic Ireland is a leading Irishsupplier of ICF systems for low energy and passive buildings.
- 30 days ago 24 Jan 18, 4:18pm -
- Smart buildings & cities the focus of Light + Building 2018
Light + Building, the world’s leading trade fair for lightingand building services technology, takes place this yearfrom 18 to 23 March in the Messe Frankfurt exhibitioncentre, Germany. More than 2,600 will present their latestinnovations at the fair, and over 200,000 visitors are expectedto attend — with almost half expected to come from outsideGermany.
- 30 days ago 24 Jan 18, 3:56pm -
- Analysis: 12,000+ homes built in 2017 – as energy standards marginally fall
In excess of 12,000 homes may have been built in Ireland last year, new analysis by Passive House Plus has revealed – with a marginal decline in energy performance evident as housing activity increases.
- 30 days ago 24 Jan 18, 3:39pm -
- Secrecy of fire tests undermines public safety, Grenfell Enquiry hears
The commercial secrecy surrounding the fire-testing of construction materials undermines fire protection by potentially obscuring serious concerns, a major alliance of fire bodies has told the public enquiry into the Grenfell disaster.
- 98 days ago 17 Nov 17, 1:10pm -
- Garway community centre set to meet passive house standard
The rural Herefordshire village of Garway is busy planning for a sustainable future with construction of a new community centre to the passive house standard.
- 10 Nov 17, 4:38pm -